23 October 2007

We've Got Spirit, How 'Bout You?

As student government sponsor, I have the privilege of planning the homecoming dance for our school, so for the past few weeks I have been swamped with preparations for the dance. The dance was held last Saturday, went very well, and now I have my life back. I don't get paid any extra for this part of my job though I will be asking for more next year.

Two Fridays ago was our game against our arch-rivals, my former school. I was obligated to go and took the two eldest children. It was a beautiful evening, but my former school was too much for my new one. By halftime the game was becoming a blowout. Just before halftime some of my former students found their way over to our sidelines and said hello. This was met by icy stares from my current students.

One of my former students asked me if I had seen the sign. "What sign?" I asked. The one that some of my former students were holding up saying, "Give us Mr. Chintzibobs back!" I laughed and told them to get back to their side of the field before they got me into trouble.

They left, but others showed up. That's when I heard a cheer I had never heard before and shall probably never hear again. Our cheerleaders were shouting out as loud as they could, "We've got Chintzibobs...We've got Chintzibobs." The student section picked it up and joined in. Then they tried to get me to come down to the sideline to show me off like some kind of trophy. Luckily for me, I the two kids with me and couldn't leave them behind.

When I got home and told my wife about it, she laughed at me and said, "I'll bet you never thought that cheerleaders would be chanting your name."

I guess all of your best moments don't necessarily happen in high school.

Peace
..._

3 comments:

Scott said...

Well, that's got to leave a happy, warm feeling inside. Nicely done.

Karenee said...

*grin* That's great. Sounds to me like your wife picked a good'un.

Splitcat Chintzibobs said...

My happiness at the moment was somewhat mitigated by the fact that the score was such a blowout at that point that there was nothing else that our side could brag about. Even so...