24 August 2009

Mondai Miscelleny: The Spelin Editon

Last week I gave my students a review quiz over the fifty states. I told them that spelling would not count. That was an error. Here is a sampling of the creative spellings used by my 11th grade students:

Unusual:
Whyoming (hey, why not?)
Newbraska (settled by the inhabitants of Old Braska)
Utha
Massachutes (and scores!)
Whashington (from the student who knew there was an "H" but wasn't sure where)
Illinoise (from two students, thank you Sufjan Stevens)
Illnois

Common:
Deleware
Minnisota
Minesota
Minnasota
Conneticut
Coneticut
Main
Road Island

Peace
...-

2 comments:

fiorinda said...

remind me to not send my kids to your school :)

Splitcat Chintzibobs said...

My students are brilliant and go to some of the top colleges in the country. Some of them are not great spellers. At least they don't split infinitives:)