16 January 2006

Monday Miscellany

By a quirk of scheduling, my school had to move some dates for the Christmas holidays. This move left us two days short so the school reluctantly dropped the Presidents' Day and King holidays from the calendar. Needless to say, the students were surly today since, as they saw it, "No other school in the world is in today." They also went on to argue that our school was "racist." Granted, their moral stand on racism was insincere and opportunistic, but I knew this was coming and had been thinking about what to do with this day all weekend.

I began with my best deadpan, "Listen, I know you don't want to be here today. No other schools are in session. Many of you had King Day service projects planned [sarcastically said--we are 97% white and no blacks], but I did a little research and found that we are not the only school in session today. The KKK School for the Blind and the Neo-Nazi Homeschool Association of Forsyth are both in session today." I went on to explain that the school had also canceled a day celebrating forty-two white men (I know that GWB is 43, but Cleveland was a repeat--22 and 24) and that more than balances out." Explaining that I made up the other schools (most of them didn't need me to say it but some did) and that our school had not cancelled the holiday out of principle but out of convenience, I then segued into a discussion of racism and race and, I think, tied it neatly into our ongoing study of Huck Finn. I hope that I gave them something to think about, though I doubt that I changed any minds. Later, one of my students said we could have taken a snow day instead of canceling King Day. I replied, "Everyday is a snow day at KKK School for the Blind." That was third period. I was on third period. First period was a bit of a disaster as I grappled with the students' perspective and logical counters to their illogical assumptions but third period was a beaut.


My son was allowed to take in a toy on his birthday for show and tell. He took his new light saber (we cleared it with his teacher ahead of time). Good boy. He has only nearly decapitated his little sister once.


The Lego Advent calendars are on sale sold out at Lego.com. Regularly 14.99 Sale Price 4.99. Great fun if you are into stretching out the materialism of Christmas for a few more weeks. I have purchased two for next Christmas.


Peace

2 comments:

David said...

Fascinating, the life of a high-school teacher!

I'm surprised you are still allowed to assign Huck Finn. It seems that most states won't allow you to read a classic book and prefer the students to read Communist Propaganda like "Native Son".

Did you catch the John Stossel special titled "Stupid in America"? If so, I'd be very curious to hear your thoughts.

Sincerely,
David

Splitcat Chintzibobs said...

Thanks. I was able to watch the first fifteen minutes of the Stossel thing (then it was back to grading papers). The program made two excellent points: More money is not the answer. Free market competition would help. It would close bad schools and reinforce what goods schools are already doing. Competition for dollars and survival are strong motivators of human behavior. Sadly, I do not think that it is the universal cure that some hope that it will be.

Communist propaganda is a bit harsh for Native Son, but many schools do choose some questionable literature.