17 December 2006

Door into Winter, Part Four

Our Christmas door won the award for "Originality."

Last weekend I was at the computer with my headphones on, enjoying a game of Civilization IV and some DMB, when my wife exclaimed, "There's someone at the door!" It was 9:30pm on a Friday night; who could be at the door? I opened the door to find a group of carolers. They sang a couple of songs with great gusto, but not so much talent and piled into a large black SUV and drove off (we did not invite them in--the house was not ready for visitors). My wife and I have laughed for days about it.

The seven young men (six seniors and one sophomore) were my students. A couple of them had mentioned they might come a-caroling a couple of weeks ago, but I had written if off as typical teenager hyperbole. A few days before, a student had asked me how I would feel if I got t-p'ed. I have gone ten years as a teacher without such a blessing so I equivocated and told him that my neighbors probably wouldn't appreciate it. In retrospect, I think they were trying to plan some kind of event and couldn't decide between a good t-p or caroling. That they actually surveyed me to find out my preference is rather endearing. I approve of their choice.


Peace

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

whole hearted congrats to you.

Man we wish we could take your class.