11 December 2006

Door into Winter, Part Three

I have been writing about the Christmas door decorating contests at my school. You can read the previous two installments here and here.

One year, I had a class of underachievers in a US History class. We spent a number of days planning outrageous things that I would never actually allow. At last, one of my students said, "I have a mounted deer's head at home. Let's stick it on the door." From that moment of inspiration we came up with an award-winning door that was both simple and unique. We mounted the deer's head on the door, put a red nose on it, and put a big sign above it that said, "Doing our part to restore the true meaning of Christmas." Under that was a list of the names of each of the reindeer with most of their names crossed off.

Fortunately, our high school is in a separate building as the lower school.

Our door for this year is complete and was judged this morning. No word on the winner though two judges had good things to say about it later in the day. Sadly, I cannot share the details of this door as it gives away my secret identity. Those of you in the know, it is a play on "I've been dreaming..."

Last thing: I got a google hit for "Christmas door decorating contest". How about that?

Peace

No comments: