31 May 2007

Jury Duty vs Post-Planning

This week is teacher post-planning. In theory, teachers are supposed to meet to review what went right and wrong during the past year and to begin planning for the next year. In practice, it means a few short days of cleaning your room, tying up loose ends, and long lunches. I have missed most of this years' post-planning due to jury duty. I have mixed feelings about this. I am thrilled to have jury duty (I teach government and now I can speak from direct experience about jury service), and I actually got on a jury today (guilty on both counts), but this is my last year at this school. I have been there since January 2001, and I hoped to spend this week saying goodbye. While my jury (yes, my jury--I was foreman) debate how many flails of the arm constitutes resisting arrest, the faculty was putting on a farewell luncheon for the three teachers leaving. I missed my own farewell lunch.

Tomorrow is the last day of post-planning, and I will be at school. The administration will give us a free lunch (the one thing they are truly good at), and then I will move on. I expect it to be a very anti-climatic ending to a very difficult year.

I hate change.

Peace

..._

No comments: