31 March 2010

Mid-Week Miscellany: The Lady Gaga Edition

I have been a loyal, dedicated, and profitable customer of Amazon.com for years.  Today, however, they hurt me.  Hurt me and left me befuddled and dazed.  And a little angry.  Amazon has worked very hard at recommending items based upon my past browsing and buying habits.  The algorithms their 10,000 monkeys generated for my account have generally been very good at suggesting books, movies, and music for my buying pleasure.

When I opened up Amazon.com today to check the status of an order, I saw, listed under "Inspired by your shopping trends," the following items:
A Canon lens case (okay-good choice)
A flash card (yep-understand that one)
A "How to survive the end of the world" book (a little flummoxed by this one but I did buy "On the Beach," "The Day After," "The Hunt for Red October," "Wargames," "Red Dawn," "Failsafe," and "The Manchurian Candidate" all in one order this winter.  Okay, maybe I'm not so flummoxed by this one; it makes sense in retrospect)
A World War II computer game (hold on while I move this item to my cart)
A Lady Gaga album: Bad Romance: The Remixes (this is the one that angered and befuddled me; as if I would ever...Lady Gaga!)


Speaking of the end of the world, can you believe that a teacher I know and respect believes that the world may end in 2012 and teaches this to his students?  He has a survival bunker with a year's worth of water.  How that will help if the world ends, I don't profess to know.  Of course I know another teacher who taught French by showing French language movies that he had not previewed first.  It is never a good idea to show a movie you haven't carefully watched.  This is especially true of French language movies. 


I am taking sixty juniors to Six Flags next week for seven and a half hours.  I hate rides.  I hate Six Flags.  You can find me on the train or the Monster Mansion.  Pray for me.

Peace
..._

No comments: