21 June 2006

Wednesday Miscellany

Friday will be the one-year anniversary of The Ohoopee Letter News' experiment in publishing on the internet. It has been much more difficult than I had imagined to consistently update this space with something that someone might find interesting to read. At the same time, it has been fun to experiment with different voices, practice writing, and talk about my family. It has been an exciting year, and I have posted one hundred and forty-seven times and have gotten almost 3,100 hits during that time. Thanks to all of you who have stopped by and continue to stop by. At the risk of being narcissistic, my personal favorite post is this one: Dean of Men Breaks the Case of the Fishy Finals.

Whenever I think I might be becoming too narcissistic, I remember that I have a blog (which confirms it).


Next year I will be teaching: AP US History, Government/Economics, and AP European History. During the second week of July I will be attending a one week AP European Institute at Oglethorpe University. I will let you know how it goes. It will be a challenging year as we are also undergoing dual accreditation this year.


We watched Chicken Little for super-duper family movie fun night a few days ago. The children enjoyed it quite a bit and the adults got a few good laughs. The boy couldn't quite understand why we didn't buy it and why we have to return it. He grew a bit irate with me. A coupon for $1.99 movie rentals at Blockbuster for the month of June was beyond his understanding. The coupon also allowed me the pleasure of watching Serenity and The Great Raid, both fine movies. In addition, the wife and I watched Aeon Flux. Two dollars was too much to spend in renting that movie.


My current project involves the renovation of our downstairs bathroom. Instead of renting a wet tile saw ($44.00 a day), I spent yesterday using tile nippers to cut in the tile around the toilet flange (I hope the use of the word "nippers" doesn't put me at the end of any weird search results). The boy checked my progress about every ten minutes, and I ended up finishing the job but with blistered and sore hands today. Working around the toilet reminded me of my favorite ad for plumbing services: "A straight flush beats a full house!"


My watermelons continue to thrive. My most mature watermelon has reached almost seven inches. However, I can't seem to stop a feeling of impending doom...that some evil fungus or blossom end rot or a very large rabbit will destroy my lovely crop.


Water baby

Peace

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My family is glad you decided to enter the blog world. I have missed your writing. I wish I could sit in on your classes. How does one go about auditing a high school class? It will be hard since we are moving to Canada (happy Canada day, by the way-yesterday that is). Will we get to go "Rowing on the lakes of Canada," I wonder?

Our internet system only lets me post a comment every now and again, but I'm always trying. I have so much to say, for so many things you post ring true for us too. Is it that we are kindred spirits, or just all old and married with children? I love your wife's blog too. It is a disappointing day if at least one of you has not posted anew.

Did 4boydad send you a forwarded message? I wish you had a "contact me" section, other than this here less than personal comment section that is only sometimes usable (by us, not the general public, I assume- we have weird internet, but it is free at the Church, so I am learning "you get what you pay for" is true).

I don't think a "comment" is supposed to be so wordish. I just wanted to say that we are glad you are narcissistic. It is only a bad thing, when it comes to words that is, if you are horribly boring, which you never are.

Splitcat Chintzibobs said...

Thank you for the kind words. I have updated my profile to include an e-mail address where you can contact me. Canada? When does that happen, eh?
You don't perchance, have a blog?

Anonymous said...

My but you impress me with your speedy response! Indeed, I have entered the blogorific world, but alas it is a secured site, so I can not give you the link here, owing to the nature of our work and the prolific and shameful pasting of our children's faces upon it... something I do not really feel comfy about, yet it seems to be what the supporters most want to see.
I take it by your questions that you did NOT get a forward from the 4boydad fellow. I wonder if he received my message. I got my hubby to get a contact for him from his parentals at the storage unit. I never got a response, so I suspected he either got scared off by my wordines or it had been a bad lead. What can you expect from parentals you keep in storage?
Our e-mail is mark_hannah@a2bmail.net, for anyone who wants to verify themselves and ask for the passwords to the site. It has a lovely tribute to the McKenzie Brothers and other things Canadian for the holiday, and one of my first blogs actually has a link to your van story, which still amazes me even though I know that same God Who takes care of you and have seen Him work in our own lives equally amazingly.
On a more personal note, I am very excited about the twins and pray for you guys lots. I can not imagine what your wife is feeling right now. The last kid about did me in, and he was a single. I check her site almost daily as well and we are all awaiting the young. My kids like that they are your kid's ages, and we had mentioned with the last boy that you were way behind. You certainly did figure out how to catch up, no?