28 September 2005

What I did with my Governor's Holiday

For those of you unaware of Governor Perdue's (GA-GOP) decree of this past Friday, the esteemed governor of our state announced on Friday afternoon that he was requesting that all Georgia schools close on Monday and Tuesday. I will not belabor you with my political response to the decision. Instead, I will belabor you with my personal response to the decision.

1. Unaware of the announcement, left school on Friday afternoon with none of my usual planning/grading burden and planning on taking the weekend off from schoolwork.

2. After receiving a phone call from my mother telling me of the announcement, spent the next seven hours wondering if our school (a small, private school) would follow the governor's advice.

3. Tried to sleep without knowing how long my weekend would be.

4. Woke up early, logged on, and discovered that our school would be closed.

5. Spent the rest of the weekend waiting for the call, "We will be closed, but we would like teachers to come in for a full teachers' workday."

6. Logged on to the internet as much as possible using dial-up. We do not have call waiting.

7. Considered blogging.

8. Purchased Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds Complete at Walmart for $9.99.

9. Played Battleground.

10. Disappointed to discover Galactic Battlegrounds is Age of Kings with different sound effects.

11. Played Galactic Battleground anyway.

12. Looked up the cheat codes.

13. Played several battles where I made my enemy the Gungans. I played the Empire. Me so cruel.

14. Watched Alexander on pay-per-view while my family was away.

15. Wished I had that $3.99 back.

16. Wished I had those three hours back.

17. Considered blogging.

18. Ate a grinder.

19. Tried to start reading "Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde" seven times.

20. Considered mowing the grass.

21. Killed the biggest spider I have ever seen in a home. It was very crunchy. Like stepping in new-fallen snow, only unpleasant.

22. Watched Arrested Development, House, Simpsons. Enjoyed them roughly in that order.

23. Considered blogging.

24. Cleaned 1/2 of a room.

25. Received three magazines: Military History Quarterly, First Things, and National Geographic. Read parts of all three. Best line comes from First Things; the author quotes PG Wodehouse as (roughly) "She looked as if she had been poured into her dress and had forgotten to say when!" Reminded me of some proms that I have chaperoned. Actually, every prom that I have chaperoned.

Peace

2 comments:

Scott said...

You still get First Things? I am so very jealous.

Splitcat Chintzibobs said...

A parent of one of my students gave me a subscription as a gift. I have it for six more months.