15 February 2006

Mid-Week Miscellany: Castor and Pollux?

Finding names for our first two children was quite easy. We had a couple of names quickly picked out and vetted by our families. There is so much more pressure with twins. The trouble is multiplied by the fact that both my wife and I have a certain affinity for unusual names. My screen name is Splitcat Chintzibobs (from G.K. Chesterton's autobiography). My wife's is Fiorinda. Both of us were fond of the name Bronwyn for our daughter. I think the unusual nature of this name led to familial relief when we settled on the name we finally chose. Both of our present children have traditional names paired with slightly old-fashioned names.

My students have inundated me with potential names (usually a derivative of their own).

Sadly, the names that people pick for children are often chosen because of associations. After so many years of teaching, there is a long list of names that I would never choose because of the former student that I associate with that name.

My son has shot down every name we have mentioned. His only suggestion: Aaron.

We went to the doctor's yesterday. Everything is fine. We even got to see one of the unborn twins waving a leg (or an arm) quite vigorously. I still have not completely accepted it.


I just finished teaching Huckleberry Finn to my 11th graders. If you haven't read this book (or if it has been awhile) then you need to. It is one of the funniest books that I have ever read.


I realized that it had been a long time since we had a Super Duper Family Movie Fun Night when my son put one on by himself by drawing a bunch of pictures and showing them to his sister. My wife promises to post about this so I won't tell anymore. I went out and bought Wallace and Gromit's The Curse of the Were-Rabbit. I can't say that it is as perfect as the short films, but it has some moments of brilliance. There is a scene that involves a rabbit that thinks it has died and is now going into the light that was vintage W and G. It was the perfect movie for SDFMFN as both the adults and children enjoyed it. In fact, this has been the first SDFMFN that the two-year-old girl has been able to sit through in its entirety.


As you can see from the pervious post, I opened a Flickr account. If you haven't checked out what they are doing there, I encourage you to do so. I haven't figured out what I shall do with mine yet, but I have posted a few pictures here.

Peace

3 comments:

Scott said...

So, if I read this right, you weren't impressed by my suggestions of Scott, Scot, Scottalyn, and/or Scottrina as potential names?

Hm.

fiorinda said...

Oooh, Scottrina, that's beautiful. Is that what you would have named a girl if you'd had one? Actually, when I was thinking about the name Aaron, Scott was the middle name I came up with. I used to know a lot of Scotts, so I've never been sure if I could use that name. But splitcat did name our daughter after the girl who was his first kiss. I could name our son after a high school crush, right?

fiorinda

Splitcat Chintzibobs said...

I did not name our daughter after her. I thought it was a nice name.
We were in elementary school. I don't think my family knows that story and now you have let it out. We also had a third grade wedding. But I didn't name our daughter after her. Scottrina, on the other hand....