09 July 2006

Monday Miscellany: Oh, Is It for Books?

Technically, this will be posted on Sunday as I will be at a "How to Teach AP European History" seminar at Oglethorpe University this week and will be departing early tomorrow morning.


My boy is going to be quite the charmer. This summer we have been working on his vocabulary. He chooses a word to learn, we put it on a 3x5 index card, and then he practices writing and recognizing the word. He has been doing much better than I thought he would, and his summer attitude has improved with the mental engagement. His mother asked him one day if he had a favorite word in his word hoard (his box of words). He said that he did but that he couldn't tell her what it was. She pressed him on it, so he said, with perfect sincerity as he walked away, "Momma." Lock up your daughters.


We have struggled to get our boy to eat healthily. We have tried a number of things to make eating "fun". The 'prinkle butter sandwich, a peanut butter sandwich with sprinkles on it and a registered trademark, was a hit for about eight weeks. He has taken to eating grapes, but it takes him forever to consume a small handful. I listened closely yesterday and discovered that his right hand is an "Oviraptor" (egg-eating dinosaur for those you not blessed with a dinosaur obsessed boy). The grapes were eggs. It was an epic battle for survival.


Last weekend the wife and I brought home a small storage unit from Walmart to store some of the babies' stuff in. Just as I was finishing its assembly, the three-year-old girl came dancing in and asked expectantly, "Oh, is it for books?" She knows us too well.


On Sunday night I took the kids to the grandparent's house for dinner and to leave them there for a sleepover. They love sleepovers (my kids). Before I was done with my dessert, the girl looked straight at me and said in exasperation, "Why are you going yet?" There will be tears when she comes home tomorrow. Last week, while the kids were out with their aunt and cousin, my wife and I were enjoying a quiet afternoon of TV when my wife exclaimed, "Could you check outside, I hear screaming and it sounds like our daughter!" Sure enough, they were home and she wasn't ready to be home. She started screaming as soon as she saw our house. Some parents have kids that cry when the parents leave. Our child cries when she comes home to her parents.


Peace

No comments: