11 August 2006

World Trade Center and United 93

Back in April and May I posted about my reactions to United 93. I had three posts on the film (here, here, and here). The big debate in the media concerned whether it was "too soon" for a film about 9/11. I have seen a few articles recently asking the same question about the Oliver Stone film "World Trade Center" (released nationwide this weekend).

In reading back over my previous posts I was reminded that the third post declared, "My own struggle with the question of whether it is too soon for such a movie were put conclusively to rest yesterday when I discussed the movie with some of my classes. I will tell you why in the next exciting edition of TOLN." I don't think I ever did tell you why my struggle with the question was put to rest. Here it is:

9/11 was five years ago. For most of us, it is tragically fresh in our memories, but many were quite young when it happened. When I told my 9th grade students about seeing United 93, one of them quite innocently queried, "Isn't that some kinda movie about a plane crashing?" She was only nine when the attacks came. Other comments similarly revealed an ignorance about the events of that day. So, no, it is not too soon to educate the young and remind the not-so-young about 9/11. Film is a medium that can serve to educate, remind, and enlighten. United 93 met the first of those two goals.

That being said, I am thrilled that the terror plot based in England was broken up. Many lives were saved. Five years ago (pre-9/11) the resources probably would have not been in place to catch the terrorists before the event. Our governments were not properly vigilant. As poorly as some things in the struggle against terror have been handled, it is nice to think that someone is doing his job and protecting us from sudden and viscous death. Timely reminders of 9/11 are a necessary component of vigilance and avoiding the deadly dangers of complacency.


Peace

No comments: