28 August 2005

Looking for Mr. P.

I have been looking for someone using all of the resources of the internet. Unfortunately, his name is somewhat common, and I have not seen him for over twenty years. I feared the trail had grown cold. Luckily, I ran into a two-year old post at classmates.com that gave me the clue I needed. I sent an e-mail to the institution where I suspected he teaches, and I just got this e-mail back from the man who inspired me to teach:

"To ----:
Hi! I'm ---------------. I was told by one of our staff members that you were looking to get in touch with me and that you were one of my former students. I apologize, but the name doesn't ring a bell. Did you go to ------- Christian Schools in --------, GA? If so, I probably did have you in one or more classes. Why don't you write back and we can clarify some details. Thanks!"


At last I can thank the teacher who inspired me to teach. It doesn't bother me the least that he doesn't remember me as I was pretty unmemorable in high school. I remember the moment that I decided to teach as clear as though it were yesterday. I was in Mentone, Alabama, sitting on a high porch overlooking a very cold river that I had just finished swimming in. It was a year since I had had Mr. P. in class. In fact, the school where I had him had closed its doors. I wanted to do for others what he had done for me. He made me want to learn all that I could about his subject. I am still learning.

Peace

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mr. P. was a great teacher. He was one of the only teachers at that school who got through to a certain "jerk" that you know. Please keep me posted.