09 August 2005

Pre-Planning, Day Two

Day one was slow. I began to put away my stuff (I was moved this year from the history side of the hallway to the English side of the hallway). I had to request an extra cabinet for all of the history stuff that I will not be using this year. We had a short department head's meeting at Red Lobster. I had fried fish, fried shrimp, fried potatoes, and three Cokes (real Cokes; I needed the caffeine to restart my heart). There is nothing that you cannot make better by frying. My mom used to get me to eat vegetables by frying them. I enjoyed fried squash, zucchini, and okra as sides to my main course of fried chicken hearts and gizzards. Our bread for the meal was fried corn bread. I was the first eight year old to survive a quadruple by-pass.

During college, I worked for a place called Joe's-to-Go's delivering Joe Dogs, Joe Burgers, Joe Shakes, Joe Fries, well, you get the idea. We were entitled to free grub. I usually choose the 1/4 pound, all beef, Oscar Meier weiner, deep-fried on a toasted bun with cheese, chili, and ketchup. And a side of the delicious Joe steak fries. Deep-frying a hot dog gives it a nice crispy shell and is not greasy.

Today, we have a seven hour class. The school is providing lunch. Lunch around here has previously been planned by women. Hence, no frying of anything. Instead, we could count on a pasta salad, high-fiber lettuce with a sweet dressing, unsweet tea, and something shoved inside some bread (but not resembling a sandwich in any way). The new boss likes steak. Our end of the year lunch last Spring was steak and mashed potatoes. Several women fainted and had to be revived by waving steamed broccoli under their noses.

Peace

No comments: