19 October 2005

Eating Our Seed Corn

Last night I had the privilege of attending an event at which Zell Miller was the keynote speaker. Zell was the governor of GA for eight years, senator from GA for four years, but is most famous or infamous (depending upon your point of view) for his 2004 Republican National Convention speech. Since I was a table host, I was allowed the added privilege of meeting Senator Miller and having my picture taken with him. I have now met three "celebrities" in my life. Zell Miller, Jeff_Blauser, and Steve Taylor (who probably doesn't really count, though his entry is surprisingly long). I was able to blubber something about being a history teacher who needed the picture of another great patriot to hang on my wall (Zell was also a history teacher). He is a surprisingly diminutive man (about 5'10 and quite thin), but exudes a definite presence.

His address was outstanding. Much of his address related to his new book, A Deficit of Decency. He must have been an outstanding history teacher. Miller is known for his down-home colloquialisms (he hails from Young Harris, GA), and I was eagerly anticipating them. Unfortunately, all I got was "eating our seed corn". He is a spellbinding speaker who, even though retired from politics, has a lot to say. He is a deeply spiritual man who has experienced many significant changes in his life (hence his nickname "Zig-Zag Zell). To me, he came across completely genuine, gentlemanly, and passionate. I found little in his speech that I could disagree with and much that I heartily agreed with. He represents many aspects of the South that I deeply respect and love, but that are, unfortunately, disappearing. No, I am not talking about openness, opportunity, optimism; I mean decency, patriotism, loyalty, respect, and love of family. I would vote for him.


I have now left enough personal and professional clues in my blog for anyone to find out who I am, where I live, where I work, and the names of at least one of my children. I don't know why I am hiding anyway. Only 1.3 people read this on any given day, and none of them, as far as I know, are mass murderers or tax evaders.

No pictures today.

Peace

No comments: