03 October 2005

Monday Miscellany: I Dream that I am Reading Them

My four year old boy is finally getting the yesterday, today, tomorrow thing down. He struggled with the ideas in the abstract, but is conquering the ideas when faced with concrete problems. I bought the kids some new Play-Doh. They can only paint and use the clay in the art room (my office). I introduced the kids to the new clay on Saturday. After cleaning up, my boy stated that he wanted to play with the clay later. I said, confident of his ignorance of the meaning of tomorrow, "Maybe we will play with the clay tomorrow." He marched purposely up to me on Sunday, stood beside me and stated, "Remember when it was yesterday and you said that we could play with the clay tomorrow. Its tomorrow." We played with the clay. We made sea creatures, dinosaurs, money, popsicles and directions.

An inspiring story from the LA Times about a community library in a poor Brazilian community. The library was started by one man. The man is illiterate. One of volunteer workers, who is also illiterate, is asked why she does it. She says, "I dream that I am reading them." . That library has three times as many books as the library at my school does.

I started online grad school on Saturday (while at Saturday school). It is necessary for my career. I have my doubts that it will be worth anything beyond that. I shall keep an open mind and pray that my brains don't leak out.

Spiderfall count:
Spiders spotted: 3
Spiders dispatched: 3
The good guys are winning.


Peace

No comments: