06 July 2005

"I Hated You";"Thank Gosh, You're Here!"

"I Hated You."
It took four years, five months, and twenty-four days. Today, my son told me for the first time, "I hated you." He still has to work on the tense, and his tone was all wrong (a pitiful plea), but I know we have crossed into a new stage in our relationship. It didn't hurt as much as I thought it would, but I was disappointed none-the-less.

"Thank Gosh, You're Here!"
I overheard this on one of my son's TV shows. It reminded me of the old definition of "heck" as "eternal separation from gosh". This was not a PBS show (I think it was Disney). If I had thought that they were doing it to avoid violating the third commandment then I would have been impressed and a little amused, but I am certain that the word was edited to save offense to those who are offended by any public mention of the word "God". On another note, is it just me or is the theme of all PBS kids' programming, "Believe in yourself"? I am certain I have heard it in songs on at least four different shows. 4 Boy Dad had some interesting observations on educational programming here.

Peace

No comments: