16 November 2005

The Google Bot Cometh

In the early, heady days of Ohoopee Online, the management was concerned with customizing the website as much as possible. A little bit of code was played with here and there. This was just enough modification to realize that a little bit of code should not be played with anywhere by anyone at Ohoopee until further training is acquired.

One of the few successful modifications was the insertion of a hit counter. I used an easy to use (read "free") one from the good people at statcounter. I wanted one not because I thought my blog would become an instant "hit", but because I love stats. Compilations of numbers fascinate me.

I haven't exactly had a lot of stats to look at; there has not been alot to compile. You can see the counter at the bottom of the page as it slowly counts up to 1,000. It provides me with a report of when people visited, where they come from, and what internet service provider they use. Don't worry, it gives me no personal information and is essentially anonymous. The most interesting statistic it gives me is information on search hits. A search hit occurs when a person searches on Google or Yahoo for something like "Incisive commentary on China" and then clicks on your website out of the list of thousands or tens of thousands that come up. That hasn't happened to me yet.

I have gotten the most search hits on searches for "Powder Puff Girls". One searcher came from the State Department in Washington D.C. They came because of my post entitled "Powder Puff Girls Fraud Alert." The second biggest number of search hits I have gotten have been from searches for the "Ohoopee River." This one makes me feel a little guilty. I have used the name of a river for my website and the only information I have about the river is a picture I stole from someone else's website and a sarcastic remark about how lovely it is. The next time I go down I-16, I will take some pictures with my new digital camera and write a full report. That should be sometime in the year 2017.

The "Google Bot" has come twice. The bot crawls through websites to assess, I guess, their content for suitability and rankability in search results. Apparently, the bot did not like what it found as a search for Ohoopee Online results in 554 links and none for this site. "Gay North Chicago" is there but not TOLN. Change the search to "Ohoopee Online" however, and I come up second of sixteen.

My wife's site gets the creepy searches. One search for "sleeping wife pictures" and another twisted one that I cannot remember because it is too disturbing to think about.

I have also gotten searches for "Doctrine of the Sin Nature", "Letter Star EE", "Other Names for Teacher", "Peter Sellers Being There Opening Music", and many others. I have had searchers from the Russian Federation, Thailand, Australia, Atlanta, and elsewhere come to my humble site. Sadly, I don't think anyone found what he or she was looking for.

Now that I have included the terms "Powder Puff Girls", "Gay", "Sin", and "Wife Pictures" in the same post, I fear my hit count may increase for all of the wrong reasons.


Peace

No comments: