28 November 2005

Monday Miscellany: Special Thanksgiving Review Edition

It was an interesting Thanksgiving break. I had terrible allergies all day Wednesday. I brought out the medicine that usually puts me on another astral plane (sneeze-free, but astral). The medicine was of marginal use. I would have about one good hour out of four. Thursday I was well, and we enjoyed two fine Thanksgiving meals. Friday-Sunday I was brought low by some kind of intestinal disorder. I don't know if was the two meals, the shock of going back to real Coke, the popcorn during an early morning Super-Duper Family Movie Fun Morning (see below), or a bug. I am almost better today.

In the past, our school has had a sixteen-day Christmas break. This year it is twelve. I would gripe about it, but I realize that the normal working world is lucky to get off two or three extra days off at this time of year. Few would sympathize with my loss. I am humbled and happy to get my twelve-day break (seven week days and four weekend days).


On Black Friday my wife and my mom went on their annual all-day shopping mission. I was left with painful heartburn and two over tired children (see above). I decided to give the kids the full Jedi experience.

Months ago, we had instituted a new family tradition (Super-Duper Family Movie Fun Night). We pop corn, turn out the lights, get out the blankets and pillows, and try to watch a movie that we have never seen before.

One of the movies was Star Wars IV: A New Hope. Both of the children fell asleep about forty minutes into it. We never finished it. Since then my boy has become enamored of Yoda (I think he saw Star Wars II at his cousins' house). Since they were so exhausted from Thanksgiving, I decided that we should watch Star Wars V: The Empire Strikes Back on Black Friday. We started at about 7:30am. We popped corn and enjoyed the film. My son was enthralled. My daughter (two years old) was interested for about forty minutes. After lunch we watched Star Wars VI: The Return of the Jedi.

My son's observations/review:
  • He quickly caught on to the soundtrack. "This is the bad guy music?" He was humming it last night. I am of the firm belief that the soundtrack elavated those movies from hokum to epic.
  • At the revelation that Darth is Luke's father, the boy said nothing but his eyes glazed over as his face grew intense. I thought he was going to cry. I remember that I wasn't convinced until the release of Return of the Jedi.
  • During Return of Jedi, about Leia's outfit: "Where's her clothes?" He repeated this several times until she finally put some clothes on. He said it as though offended and deeply disappointed. I offered that it was like a swimsuit. "But there is no water to swim in." He'll appreciate it when he's older.
  • As Yoda explains the Force to Luke and its presence all around us, generated by all living things, "Where's God?"
  • He kept waiting for Yoda to pull out a light saber. I think he was sorely disappointed in Yoda.
  • At the end of Jedi, "That was a great movie. Remember when we watched the other movie and we didn't finish it?" "Yes son, you and Evelyn fell asleep." "I didn't fall asleep, I was just laying down with my eyes open." I will save that movie for another day.
  • He has been making light sabers, space ships, and blasters out of his Lego bricks ever since.

I am glad he is still a child, and I wonder at the mind of a child. Thankful I am.

Peace

No comments: