21 November 2005

Monday Miscellany

My son's preferences (he will be five in January):
  • Star Wars character: the green guy (Yoda)
  • Color: green
  • To be when he grows up: a T-Rex then a teacher (not in order of preference; his plan is to be a T-Rex for a while and then become a teacher)
  • Video game: Spyro the Dragon
  • Activity with daddy: fighting (either Star Wars or Spyro the Dragon)
  • Super-hero: Spiderman
  • Joke: Knock knock? Who's there? Banana. Banana who? Banana pants.
  • Food: chocolate in nearly any form (that's my boy)
  • Meat: he prefers no meat, but will eat chicken nuggets (which hardly count)
  • Animal: dinosaurs (particularly T-Rexs which were, I am assured, green)
  • Book: Richard Scarry's Busy Town
  • TV Show: Any cartoon made before about 1975 (Tom and Jerry, Spiderman, Bugs, etc)

On the day that the new Georgia Aquarium has opened, news breaks that Atlanta has ranked seventh in a survey of most dangerous cities. I think this gives us the new Atlanta slogan: "Last in education. Top ten in crime. First in big tubs of fish."

I have given up on diet colas. The sweetener used in most of them seems to have some unpleasant side effects. Good-bye apartame, hello rapid weight gain. That being said, Diet Dr. Pepper and Diet Cherry Vanilla Dr. Pepper were the best in terms of taste. Each has so many other tastes that the apartame taste is well-cloaked. So why not give up all cokes? I'll get back to you on that one

As a treat last week, I showed my 9th grade students the fine cinematic feature "Abbott and Costello Meet Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde." My guess is that about 25% of my students found it funny (which is more than I thought--it was actually a student who suggested it). One scene in particular involving a cat caught in a wax head got laughs from most of the class. Comedy has changed a bit over the years. Lou Costello was a brilliant physical actor. Boris Karloff played a fine Dr. Jekyll. Not only did they change a horror novel into a horror/comedy, but a romance was thrown in for good measure.

Peace

No comments: